Monday, April 26, 2010

Its raining, its pouring...

Its funny how when it rains, it pours. This weekend another dam decided to break in our house and suddenly we were flooded with another problem we have to fix. I think currently, every single room in the house, including our basement, needs work done. Whether its windows, guttering, floors, walls, sinks or showers- something has to be broken. I think it’s an unspoken universal rule. If one of us were terribly ill, had committed some act of incredible bravery, or had a child with a mutation we'd totally apply for 'Extreme Home Makeover'. Unfortunately neither of us wants to lose a leg or contract a nasty disease to be applicant worthy.

You know what else is[nt] funny? When it rains- it literally POURS. This weekend it rained so hard. Not just for a few hours, but for days. This, on top of the already mounting issues in our house just exacerbated our leaking, gutter and window problems. One silver lining is that because of the leak in one of our windows, we discovered an ant colony that was making their home in our walls. Gabe tried to kill them with caulking and some ant killer. Hopefully they stay dead and don’t come rising up through the ashes and come back angry at us like Carrie. Water has been our bane for the past few weeks. It started out with our washer overflowing the entire floor. Now, its leaking down our living room walls. It just seems like everywhere we turn something else is wrong.

Life seems to be that way- a lot. I just want a way out. I don’t want to deal with situations, friends, work loads, or responsibilities. It would be so much easier if the answers and solutions to my problems just dropped into my lap, right? I don’t want to learn how to fix a broken floor board- I just want someone else to do it. I don’t want to learn how to mend that relationship because I just want the other person to take care of it. Laziness and being irresponsible follows me in every area of my life it if let it. There have been days that I've thought all day about how wonderful it would be to be a kid again so I didn’t have these responsibilities anymore. But, I don’t have that choice. When I really think about it, I wouldn’t want to give up the freedom I have as an adult either.

I fully believe that whether it’s my house circumstance, or another life situation, God is using it to mold and shape me. I know that he is just and good- and all things will work out for his glory. Yes, there is that child in me who wants to kick and scream because things haven’t gone my way. But that’s why I really don’t want to go back to being a kid- because I've learned through life that I don’t have to have things my way. Even when my life seems to stink, I know I’ll come out the other side because He’s in control of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment