Thursday, May 13, 2010


Last night I tried my hand at making Spaghetti Squash. Most people microwave or bake theirs, but my Mom suggested I boil it. I've had Spaghetti Squashed made in the microwave before, and it usually becomes a little mushy and almost defeats the purpose of using it as a substitute for pasta. However, boiling it make it crunchy and delicious! If I could readily get a hold of spaghetti squash I dont think I'd be eating much pasta anymore. It had the consistency of al dente pasta with a very mild squash flavor. It melded perfectly with spaghetti sauce and was surprisingly filling.

Heres how I made it. You'll notice that I dont really measure anything. Everything is really according to your taste, and I just throw things into the pot until it smells and tastes delicious.

Ingredients:

1 medium/large Spaghetti Squash
1 jar of Spaghetti sauce (any kind will do)
Small hand full of bacon bits
Hand full of Parmesan cheese
Dash of Italian Spice
Dash of Garlic Powder
Dash of Cookies seasoning
Cheddar cheese

Start boiling a large stew pot full of water. Cut Spaghetti Squash length ways in half and remove seeds. Once water is boiling, place squash in, and allow to softly boil until the flesh is tender and it starts to shred. Remove squash and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process. Heat spaghetti sauce, bacon, cheese and spices in microwave or sauce pan. Remove squash from cold water once its cooled. Begin shredding the squash flesh with a fork. It will begin to break up into fine pieces, much like pasta. It should continue to shred until you reach the skin of the squash. Add squash to spaghetti sauce and let reheat for a few minutes so flavors blend and squash becomes warm again. Serve with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. You can also add hamburger, ground turkey or chicken to the dish to "beef" it up. (Hardy har... I made a pun!)

You can also make this exact same dish with White sauce instead of Spaghetti sauce. If you're only feeding a few people like I am, you'll probably have left over squash. The following day I just used a white sauce over top with seasonings, chicken and veggies. It was quite tasty!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment