Monday, May 10, 2010

She'll prey on your very life

Life has been so busy I havent really had time to sit down and think about writing. However, this afternoon I started back up writing a story I had put aside for a little while. Its sorta a play on the Proverbs 6-7 when Solomon speaks about the adulterous women and how she preys on the very live of the simple man. I have had several stories wrapped around in my mind- from a almost literal account of the chapters to a metaphorical story that points towards the verses.
I think this will be one of those projects that will haunt me for a long time. The stories are almost like terrifying dreams that replay in my mind over and over again, and I think the only way to calm them is to unload them on to paper. I wish there was a way I could hook a recorder up in my brain and just get through each story like I'd watch a movie.
I think Proverbs 6-7 is very close to my heart, simply because of much of my past. The stories that play through in my mind are in some way or another direct links to the very things I've come out of. I totally relate to the man in these proverbs, although I hate to admit it. I think we all can, whether its with one sort of temptation or another.

Proverbs 6:24-35

24 keeping you from the immoral woman,
from the smooth tongue of the wayward wife.

25 Do not lust in your heart after her beauty
or let her captivate you with her eyes,

26 for the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread,
and the adulteress preys upon your very life.

27 Can a man scoop fire into his lap
without his clothes being burned?

28 Can a man walk on hot coals
without his feet being scorched?

29 So is he who sleeps with another man's wife;
no one who touches her will go unpunished.

30 Men do not despise a thief if he steals
to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.

31 Yet if he is caught, he must pay sevenfold,
though it costs him all the wealth of his house.

32 But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment;
whoever does so destroys himself.

33 Blows and disgrace are his lot,
and his shame will never be wiped away;

34 for jealousy arouses a husband's fury,
and he will show no mercy when he takes revenge.

35 He will not accept any compensation;
he will refuse the bribe, however great it is.

Proverbs 7:6-27

6 At the window of my house
I looked out through the lattice.

7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men,
a youth who lacked judgment.

8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house

9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.

10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

11 (She is loud and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;

12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)

13 She took hold of him and kissed him
and with a brazen face she said:

14 "I have fellowship offerings at home;
today I fulfilled my vows.

15 So I came out to meet you;
I looked for you and have found you!

16 I have covered my bed
with colored linens from Egypt.

17 I have perfumed my bed
with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.

18 Come, let's drink deep of love till morning;
let's enjoy ourselves with love!

19 My husband is not at home;
he has gone on a long journey.

20 He took his purse filled with money
and will not be home till full moon."

21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.

22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer stepping into a noosec]">

23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.

24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.

25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.

26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.

27 Her house is a highway to the grave,d]">
leading down to the chambers of death.

No comments:

Post a Comment