Sunday, March 16, 2014

Divergent Inspired Makeup: Abnegation

Up first in the 'Divergent' makeup series is Abnegation!

source

The Divergent Wiki page sums up the Abnegation faction as: Abnegation was formed by those who blamed selfishness for human nature's errors. They believe in selfless actions and attaining peace through the elimination of selfishness. By doing so, they choose to completely forget themselves and only serve others.... Abnegation value the virtue of selflessness over any other. Abnegation initiates upon attaining membership are forced to reject a life of vanity and self-indulgence, protecting themselves from greed and envy which are considered forms of selfishness. Gossiping, using the mirror for long periods of time and buying luxury items are forbidden. As an Abnegation, the focus of their lives will be in serving others instead of themselves, anything done for self-enjoyment is thereby discouraged. Abnegations are usually very quiet as they don't like to call attention to themselves and they find joy in helping others.(*source)

Since Abnegations goal is to serve others and view spending time on yourself as wrong, I wanted to do a "no makeup" makeup look. Doing a perfected no makeup look actually requires quiet a lot of makeup- but if you do it right, no one will know you're wearing any! I dont think the Abnegation officals would approve of spending time on makeup at all, but oh well! Onwards and upwards!


The secret to a perfect no makeup look is avoiding caking too much on. Instead of using foundation all over the face, I only used concealer to cover any redness, spots, or discoloration.


I used a setting powder over just the areas on my face where there was a bit of shine, and then used a soft blush to give my cheeks some color.


For the eyes I applied a nude cream shadow to even my skin tone and hide any veins that show through the thin skin. I used a brown eyeshadow on the lash line and a nude pencil on my waterline to brighten my eyes. I topped everything off with one coat of black mascara. I  lightly filled in my brows, because, well, lets face it- my brows are almost nonexistent on their own.


I finished off the look with using a nude lip pencil to give a little definition to my lips and topped it with a lip balm.


I love that Abnegation is about selflessness and using ones energy to serve others. Its a beautiful sacrifice. However, I'm far to self absorbed to chose Abnegation as my faction- I dont think I could give up yummy food, music, movies or duh, makeup!

Do you think you would choose Abnegation? What would you miss most if you did?




Products used:


Face-
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in "Fair"
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in "Light"

Essence 'All About Matte" powder

Revlon Matte Blush in "Perfectly Peach"
Eyes-
Maybelline 24hr Tattoo cream eyeshadow in "Nude Pink"
Wet'n'Wild Vanity palette
Jordana Best Lash Extreme in "Black"

Lips- 
NYX Lip Pencil in "Nude Beige"
Nivea lip balm



No comments:

Post a Comment