Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Divergent Inspired Makeup: Dauntless

source
"...the faction dedicated to courage, bravery, and fearlessness. It was formed by those who blamed fear and therefore, cowardice as a cause of the problems society faced. It tries to fight cowardice by giving preparation and the ability to act during fear to its members... The Dauntless value the virtue of bravery over any other, as such they train to fight and use weapons to prepare their bodies to respond to threats and challenges, which is necessary if they want to survive life as a Dauntless member. The faction also emphasizes the idea of freedom from fear, and test this daily by attempting death-defying feats. Dauntless members and initiates are the only ones allowed to ride the train and do so in a daring way; jumping onto and off the train while it is moving....Dauntless always dress in black. The women wear skin-tight pants, tights, tight dresses, and black boots and shoes. The men wear black pants and form-fitting shirts. Dauntless like to tattoo and pierce their bodies. Girls might wear dark eyeliner and makeup. They might also dye their hair in unusual colors." (source)


Dauntless aesthetic screams you're stereotypical punk. Crazy colored hair, lots of piercings, tattoos, black leather: the works.  In order to keep things fresh, I wanted to avoid the 80's-90's punk rocker connotation by keeping everything streamlined.



I kept the skin matte, applying my face powder with a slightly heavier hand and leaving off highlighter. I also used a cool toned contour shade to carve out my cheek bones, but left my blush extremely light: only using it to avoid looking overly pale.



 I  felt like a strong brow would have been to much, so I went the opposite direction and muted them out with concealer. I actually really loved the look of an extremely light, almost bleached brow. Makes me feel like Lizabeth Salander.


I liked the idea of doing asymmetrical eyes, keeping one side normal with just a flick of liner, and the other bold and dramatic. When designing the shape for this eye, I used the images from the Divergent movie poster as inspiration. Most of the tattoos they designed for the cast where tribal, which characteristically are thick, solid black shapes. I used black gel liner to give the shape its intensity, and then covered it with a matte black shadow to seal it.


Lips were tricky for this look. I didn't own a black lipstick, or anything close to black. So, I improvised and used a black eyeliner to line and fill my lips. I then foiled a matte black shadow over the top to create the depth I wanted. Over that, I foiled a dark purple pigment just in the center of the lip for dimension.


Dauntless really appeals to me aesthetically. I'm not a leather fan, but tattoos, piercing and wild colored hair is right up my alley. I am, however, admittedly a wuss, and wouldn't survive past having to jump off a moving train to get to the Dauntless compound. So, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of becoming Dauntless. Call me a chicken.

Could you be Dauntless?



Products used:

Face-

Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-1 Foundation in "Ivory"
Maybelline Fit Me Concealor in "Fair"
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in "Light"
Essence 'All About Matte" powder NYX Taupe Blush
Revlon Matte Blush in "Perfectly Peach"


Eyebrows-
Maybelline Fit Me Concealor in "Fair"
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in "Light"


Eyes-
Physicians Formula gel liner in "Black"
Wet'n'Wild "Pride" palette
Urban Decay eyeshadow in "Strange"
Avon Lash Primer and Conditioner
Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
Jordana Best Lash Extreme in "Black"

Lips-
NYX eye liner in "Black"
Elf Lock and Seal gel
Wet'n'wild "Pride" pallete
Fyrinnae  loose pigment in "Illicit Passion"

1 comment: