Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Divergent Inspired Makeup: Candor

source

"Candor was a faction formed by those who blamed duplicity and deception, who believed that dishonesty is the key fault in human nature which began evil and war. They believe in the principle that honesty and openness would lead to a more peaceful and perfect society...Candor are serious about their views on honesty against dishonesty. They see honesty and trustworthiness as the very foundations of morality and character. They look upon honest individuals with high respect, and upon dishonest individuals with deep contempt....Despite their belief in fairness and impartiality, the Candor believe that the truth is black-and-white, so that is what they wear." (source)

The stark contrast of black and white- truth and lies, was my inspiration for this makeup. Like Abnegation, I think Candor officals would disapprove of makeup since it can be viewed as 'concealing' one's true self. Nonetheless, I cant pass up an opportunity to flex my creativity and dig deep into a black and white makeup look!


When I started thinking about this makeup, the 60's super model "Twiggy" came to mind. When designing the look, I used her classic cut crease and drawn on lower lashes to keep the eye center focus.

source


I used a heavier foundation to keep the skin clean and perfected. I also used all matte colors for my skin and eyes, so the only sheen was on the lip. 


To keep the white really bright, I used a white creamy base underneath the white eyeshadow, and also lined my lower waterline, lash line and just below the lash line with a white eyeliner. This kept the eyes big and doll like. I drew the lashes underneath the white on the lower lash line by using a fine detail brush with black eyeshadow. I decided against using black liquid liner to do this, as I felt it would be a little to harsh.


A cut crease can be really tricky when using such two contrasting colors. The key is to work from dark to light. I applied the black shadow in the crease, and then used a q-tip to clean my lid before applying the white color.


To keep with the 60's mod vibe, I did a creamy nude mouth. I slightly overdrew my lips, filled them in with a milky nude matte lip color and then added a healthy dose of gloss. I'd wear this nude lip every day if I could. I love this combo.


I wouldn't say I'm a liar by any means, but I don't think I'd do very well in the Candor faction. I think life has a lot of gray areas- so living in a society where gray areas are seen as dishonest seems a little too extreme for my blood. That being said, I would gladly wear black and white every day (I basically do anyways), so that wins Candor a brownie point :)

Would Candor be the right faction for you?



Products used: 


Face-
Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-1 Foundation in "Ivory"
Maybelline Fit Me Concealor in "Fair"
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in "Light"

Essence 'All About Matte" powder
NYX Taupe Blush
Revlon Matte Blush in "Perfectly Peach"
Sugarpill "Tako" eyeshadow (as highlight)

Eyebrows-
NYX Brow Cake Powder in "Blonde"

Eyes- 
Two Face Shadow Insurance
NYX Jumbo pencil in "Milk"
Sugarpill "Tako" eyeshadow
NYX Smokey Eyes Palette
Wet'n'Wild Pride Palette
Avon SuperShock gel liner in "Black"
Avon Lash Conditioner and Primer
Coty AirsSpun Loose face Powder
Jordana Best Lash Extreme in "Black"

Lips-
NYX lip pencil in "Nude Beige"
Elf Matte lip color in "Nearly Nude"
NYX Butter lipgloss in "Eclair"

No comments:

Post a Comment